Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Trudging through a winter wonderland...

So, it's happened. Snow.

Now, I live in the deliciously damp land of rain boots and umbrellas, Vancouver. Snow is a relatively rare occurrence in my life. And, as a result, I'm not particularly prepared.

In fact, in the snow, the task of keeping my toes dry and warm typically falls to my rain boots, which look like this:



Now, if you know anything about me yet, then you know these little darlings came from New York. And, surprise, surprise, I bought them in 3 colours...




If you love them as much as I do, you can get them from DNA Footwear online, but I would like to give credit where credit is due, because I got mine (all three pairs, though tracking down sizes was a nightmare!) from Strawberry, in New York. There are about a million locations, and all are great! Strawberry is also great for clothes, jewelry and bags (I got a Kenneth Cole wallet there for $20.00, they have lots of discounted label treasures), so check it out!

Anyways, so back to snow. If you click on the link for DNA Footwear, you'll see their warning that these boots fit small and narrow. I have small feet, but they are a little wide across the balls of my feet, so I had to buy 8s for a foot that usually fits in a 6 1/2-7 1/2, and there's room for me to wear thin socks, or tights with them without choking all the blood out of my foot. That being said, they have stretched out a little, so there's hope for fluffy socks in the future.

Unfortunately, for the moment, I am stuck with chilly tootsies.

My other snow blunder was to walk to work with tights on, but a short skirt, so my legs were also feeling the bitter whips of winter wind. Fortunately, I got these at a boxing day sale:



They're boot toppers! (Faux fur, of course!)

I put them over my rain boots (they cover the bows and leave only the foot of the boot exposed) and they turn my charming little puddle jumpers into pseudo-mukluks that keep my calves warm, and my ankles dry all the way to the office! (Apparently I have a faulty gait that causes my shoes to flick bits of snow up into the tops of these boots. It's weird, I don't get it, but at least now there's a solution!)

Technically, they would also work as legwarmers, if that's the look you're into. Either way, they're adorable and snugly. Now, if only they could warm my toes as well, we'd be in business.

Although, to be honest, I've always had cold feet. And not just when it comes to big decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment